The All Progressives Congress screening committee for the Edo governorship primary has disqualified Godwin Obaseki, the governor. The Jonathan Ayuba-led screening committee of the party, while presenting the committee’s report to the party’s National Working Committee, said the governor was disqualified from participating in the party’s 22 June primary because of the discrepancies in his names and certificates and for taking the party to court in contravention of the party’s rules. However, there are indications that Obaseki is running on the platform of another political party to realise his second-term ambition following his disqualification. Ayuba noted in the report received by the National Chairman of the party, Adams Oshiomhole, Ayuba that Obaseki claimed to have obtained a Higher School Certificate from the Institute of Continuing Education in Benin but that he did not produce the certificate and that the document he produced only attested to his attendance. The committee leader added that the governor’s National Youth Service Corps certificate reads ‘Obasek Godwin’ and that while this could be an error on the part of NYSC, the governor never took any step “to correct the anomaly.” Obaseki and two other aspirants, Chris Ogiemwonyi and Mathew Iduoriyekenwen, were disqualified from participating in the party primary ahead of the 19 September 2020 governorship election in the state. Those cleared to take part in the primary were Osaro Obaze, Pius Odubu and Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu. Obaseki and the APC national leader, Oshiomhole had been at loggerheads over the governor’s re-election bid. Sequel to the disqualification, the national leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party has declared the party’s doors open for the governor. It was, however, not clear if the governor would get an automatic ticket in the party if he decides to run on its platform.
The shooting at the Presidential Villa involving Usman Shugaba, Aide-de-Camp to the First Lady, Aisha Buhari, and other security agents attached to her will top the agenda of the police management team meeting today. Shugaba and Mrs Buhari’s security aides will then face a panel that would be set up by the leadership of the police, and would not be restored to the wife of the President following their involvement in an altercation with a personal assistant and nephew of the President, Sabiu Yusuf last Thursday at the Presidential Villa. The incident occurred when the President’s wife, three of her children, and some of her security aides insisted that Yusuf, who had just returned from Lagos, should proceed on self-isolation for 14 days. In the attempt to apprehend Yusuf, shots were fired. In reaction, the Inspector General of Police ordered the arrest of Shugaba and five policemen who accompanied the First Lady to Yusuf’s residence.
Millions of tons of cargo is currently wasting away at Lagos seaports owing to poor road infrastructure, bureaucratic processes, and unfavourable government policies. The Guardian reported that a good proportion of the cargo is now incurring high demurrage after enjoying three rent-free days from the time of discharge. The stockpile of containers is also causing serious congestion due to the closure of access roads for repairs, even as lack of cargo scanners has forced the Nigeria Customs Service to resort to physical examination. In addition to this, the chairman of te Lagos chapter of the Nigerian Shippers Association, Jonathan Nichol, said that importers have lost over ₦15 trillion to the coronavirus pandemic, which has limited importation and forced a lot of factories to shut down. Calling on the government to introduce a blanket concession on demurrage from the period before COVID-19 to encourage importers, Nichol also complained about bottlenecks in the system. “You cannot get Form M to process import. The liquid value for the foreign exchange must be in your account, which you cannot withdraw. The money has remained there for three months. You cannot receive your goods. The bills are constant. Workers’ salary is constant. Transportation is higher. Servicing is constant, and many more. All on one importer! And then you begin to think of how to pay demurrage. The figure is even higher because importers cannot pay demurrage for most of the goods now trapped in the ports. Factories have shut down for three months and they don’t have money to pay demurrage.”
The Ivorian government is investigating an attack that could be the first assault by Islamist insurgents since 2016 within the borders of the country. An army official said 11 soldiers were among twelve persons killed in the raid that took place in the early hours of Thursday in the Kong region in northern Ivory Coast near the border with Burkina Faso. The other victim was a paramilitary police officer, the person said. The defence ministry said the investigation is underway to determine the nature, circumstances and the exact number of casualties of the Islamist militant attack that would be the first in the world’s biggest cocoa grower since a March 2016 raid on the beach resort of Grand-Bassam which left 19 people dead. There has been growing concern that insurgents have been moving further south since groups affiliated to al-Qaeda occupied urban centres in northern Mali in 2012. That violence has already spilt over to several other countries in the region. The assault comes after attacks in northern neighbour, Burkina Faso, doubled in the first four months of the year. Militants linked to al-Qaeda’s Group for the Support of Islam and Muslims, known by its acronym JNIM, are known to operate in the area. According to an Africa analyst at Verisk Maplecroft, Alexandre Raymakers, “Attacks are likely to remain sporadic and opportunistic in nature, targeting mainly military facilities, limiting the direct business impact in the short term.” The U.S. embassy in Abidjan, Ivory Coast’s capital, advised Americans earlier this month to avoid visiting the country’s north and northeastern border regions, where Ivorian and Burkinabe forces have been carrying out operations. France issued a similar warning last year as both Western powers have supported efforts to push back jihadists. The U.S. has built a $110 million airbase in the Nigerien city of Agadez, while France has more than 5,000 troops across the region as part of a counter-terrorism mission.