Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, has imposed a 24-hour curfew in Oyigbo, Obio/Akpor Local Government Areas, and some parts of Port-Harcourt following violent incidents by hoodlums who hijacked the ENDSARS protest. In a statement by the Governor’s newly appointed Special Assistant on Media, Kelvin Ebiri said Wike made the announcement in a state broadcast on Wednesday afternoon. The statement said the curfew was taken after a State Security Council meeting held at the Government House, Port Harcourt in order to protect lives and property; saying the curfew extends to Mile 1, Mile 2, Emenike, Ikoku and Iloaubuchi areas of Port Harcourt LGAs, as well as Oil Mill area of Obio-Akpor. The statement also directed council chairmen to mobilise vigilantes and work with security agencies to ensure that no hoodlum is allowed to disturb the peace or destroy lives and property in their Local Government Areas.

British Foreign Secretary, Dominic Raab, has called on the FG to immediately probe the attack on #EndSARS protesters by soldiers at the Lekki toll gate on Tuesday night. Raab said this in a tweet on Wednesday moments after the Lekki toll gate incident was discussed at the parliament. He tweeted, “I am deeply concerned by the violence in Nigeria, including widespread reports of civilian deaths. We call for an end to all violence. The Nigerian government must urgently investigate reports of brutality by its security forces and hold those responsible to account.” United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres urged “the security forces to act at all times with maximum restraint” and also called on protesters “to demonstrate peacefully and to refrain from violence,” spokesman Stephane Dujarric said in a statement. The European Union’s foreign policy chief Josep Borrell on Wednesday  condemned the “alarming” killing of protesters, saying that “it is crucial that those responsible for abuses be brought to justice and held accountable.” Soldiers had on Tuesday shot at unarmed protesters at the Lekki toll gate plaza barely hours after Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, had imposed a curfew on the state. Although the governor said only one person died in the incident, eyewitnesses claimed at least seven persons died in the attack.

NESBITT Investment Nigeria has acquired Peugeot Automobile Nigeria (PAN) and plans to inject $150 million in the next three years to revamp the automobile company. NESBITT said the $150 million investment would be spent on retooling and upgrading PAN’s assembly line as well as in supporting infrastructure and working capital. Commenting on the acquisition of the company at the PAN assembly plant in Kaduna on Monday, Ahmed Wadada-Aliyu, PAN’s new chairman, assured that the company would be introducing new brands of vehicles into the market to relaunch brand affordability in the country. “PAN under the supervision of the board shall undergo massive restructuring, and in so doing, we shall observe strict governance protocols, transparency, business integrity, efficiency and ethics in our undertakings,” he said. In 2019, Nigeria imported at least 400,000 used cars compared to 68,000 brand new vehicle purchases.

A group of Zambian women and children have filed a class-action lawsuit against a subsidiary of the mining company Anglo American for alleged mass lead poisoning. The lawsuit claims that more than 100,000 people may have been poisoned, over generations by exposure to toxins from a lead mine in Kabwe district. Anglo American South Africa (AASA) was a shareholder in the mine from 1925 to 1974 when it was nationalised. It said it would “defend its position”. The company noted that while it was aware of reports about the lawsuit, it had not yet received the claim. It also said that it was never the majority owner of the Kabwe mine. But lawyers representing the victims allege that AASA is liable because of its role “controlling, managing, supervising and advising on the technical, medical and safety aspects of the mine’s operations”. The Kabwe mine was nationalised and operated as a state-owned body for 20 years before its closure in 1994. The lawsuit was filed in a South African court on Wednesday. It calls for financial compensation, medical screening of children and women and a clean-up of the area. In a report last year, Human Rights Watch said more than one-third of the population of Kabwe – more than 76,000 people – live in lead-contaminated areas.