Nigeria has been ranked third on the 2020 Global Terrorism Index, a report that measures the impact of terrorism on countries across the world. Nigeria was third behind Afghanistan and Iraq in the 2020 report. The country was also ranked third by the index in 2019. The report says “Nigeria recorded the second-largest reduction in deaths from terrorism in 2019, with the number falling from 2,043 to 1,245, a 39.1 per cent reduction, which was mainly due to a fall in terrorism deaths attributed to Fulani extremists. “This reduction occurred despite a small increase in deaths attributed to Boko Haram, which has been the most active terrorist group in the country over the past decade. Deaths from terrorism in Nigeria are now 83 per cent lower than at their peak in 2014.” It also added that: “Deaths from terrorism are now 59 per cent lower than their peak in 2014. The fall in deaths has been largest in Iraq, Syria and Nigeria. The annual Global Terrorism Index, now in its eighth year, is developed by leading think tank the Institute of Economics and Peace (IEP) and provides the most comprehensive resource on global terrorism trends.

Gunmen have assassinated the Olufon of Ifon, Oba Israel Adeusi in Ose Local Government Area of Ondo State. A relative of the monarch confirmed this to The Punch on Thursday. Adeusi was on his way from a meeting in Akure in his official car around 1600 hours on Thursday when he was accosted by gunmen and shot. Preliminary reports indicate that no one else was attacked in the car and no item was stolen. The relative said, “He was in his official car which had his customised number plate. He drove to Akure for a meeting. But on his way back, on getting to a rough road along Elegbeka, he was accosted by gunmen and shot. It was clearly an assassination because nothing was stolen from the vehicle and the other two occupants of the vehicle were not harmed”. Adeusi ascended the throne about 23 years ago and was in his 60s.

The FG on Thursday revealed that 66 percent of Nigerian children in rural areas can neither read nor write. Health minister, Osagie Ehanire, represented by the Director and Head (Department of Family Health) in the Federal Ministry of Health, Dr. Salma Ibrahim Anas-Kolo, stated these during the closing ceremony of a two-day stakeholders’ consultation towards ministerial commitment for educated, healthy and thriving adolescents and young people in West and Central Africa. Ehanire said, “The Economic Recovery and Growth Plan notes that Nigeria ranks 137 out of 140 countries globally in infant mortality, 10 million children are out of school, 66% of children in rural areas cannot read or write and 17.6 million youth are unemployed. “According to NDHS, Nigeria has a higher burden of adolescent pregnancy and child bearing. 19 percent of teenagers (15-19 years) are already mothers or pregnant with their first child. The figure is higher in the Northern part than in the South. UNESCO Officer in Charge of UNESCO regional office in Abuja, Mamadou Lamine Sow, said that young people must be taught to make informed decisions about their health and sexuality to curtail child marriages, early and unintended pregnancies.

At least 40 informal miners in Zimbabwe have been trapped underground after a shaft in a disused gold mine collapsed, the country’s miners’ federation has said. The incident occurred in the town of Bindura, around 70 kilometres (43 miles) north of the capital Harare, said Wellington Takavarasha, head of the Zimbabwe Miners Federation. Takavarasha said the miners were working inside the disused Ran Gold Mine when a shaft caved in. Six miners have since been pulled from the rubble and taken to hospital. “Those who were rescued said there were about 40 people in the mine shaft at the time of the incident,” said Takavarasha, adding that rescue efforts were ongoing. Mining is a major source of foreign currency for Zimbabwe, where gold alone accounts for 60 percent of exports. The gold sector provides jobs to nearly 10 percent of the country’s population, according to the International Crisis Group. Small-scale miners often operate illegally to avoid selling their bullion to the state-owned buyer, Fidelity Printers and Refiners, as they are paid only 55 per cent in foreign currency. The remaining 45 percent is paid in Zimbabwean dollars, which is notorious for its weakness. Accidents are relatively common in decommissioned mines, particularly when the ground is loosened by rain.