Ebonyi has imposed a dusk-to-dawn curfew in Effium and Ezza-Effium communities in a bid to end a surge in violence that has rocked both settlements. The state’s Deputy Governor, Kelechi Igwe, announced the curfew in Abakaliki on Wednesday. The two communities which are located in Ohaukwu Local Government Area have been embroiled in a deep crisis, leading to the loss of life and destruction of property. Media reports say the crisis is linked to a leadership tussle in the local chapter of the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW). Igwe said military and police operatives had been deployed to the communities to enforce law and order. “Miscreants and hoodlums, including mercenaries hiding in the forest and bushes, are advised to vacate the communities immediately. We are saying this in their own interest because security agencies will leave no stone unturned in a bid to root them out. Also, those in the habit of raising a false alarm to distract and divert the attention of security agents are by this announcement advised to desist from such acts. Such persons will be tracked, arrested, and prosecuted as one of those promoting the crisis.”
Lagos Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has rolled out the plan for law enforcement officers in the state to use body cameras. The governor announced the plan to train the law enforcement officers on Tuesday. He said they will be trained by the Lagos State Law Enforcement Training Institute (LETI). Olajide Oduyoye, general manager of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA), had in February said the officers will use cameras to capture traffic violations. “This year, we are going to be having body cameras on officers to capture incidents because things happen so fast,” he had said. “You can’t really say let me get my camera. But if you have your body camera on that is recording, then you can capture all sorts of different things that you can use against offenders. “Those who wilfully disobey traffic signs go in the middle of the night to remove those signs. When they are caught, they will say that there were no signs. They go and remove the signs to prove they aren’t aware of the signs. This happens all the time.”
The Chairman, Code of Conduct Tribunal, Umar Danladi, has denied assaulting a security guard at a plaza in Abuja. The CCT Chairman was seen in a viral video on Tuesday assaulting a guard at the Banex Plaza in Wuse 2. However, in a statement signed by the tribunal’s spokesperson, Ibraheem Al-Hassan, the chairman said the altercation happened because of parking space. He claimed the guard was rude to him and threatened him, which triggered the situation. Part of the statement read: “Our attention was drawn to a report from some online publication with a video clip suggesting, Justice Danladi Umar assaulted a security guard at Banex plaza.” “Unfortunately, yesterday’s altercations started over a parking space, which Chairman met vacant and it was directly opposite a shop he wanted to make a purchase from and fix his phone but when the young security guard sighted him, he ordered the Chairman not to park his car in that particular empty space, but when the chairman asked why he could not park there, the security guard could not give a convincing reason. He alleged that a mob consisting of Biafran boys attacked him, destroyed his windscreen and injured him. “At a point, the Chairman attempted to leave the scene, these same miscreants, ordered the closure of the gate, assaulting him before the arrival of the police team from Maitama police station.” Describing the incident as unfortunate, the CCT Chairman said such a situation would attract sympathy if he was someone of low personality. “An incident like this when it happens, sympathy usually goes to the low personalities. Though it is unfortunate as I said, it ought not to have happened,” the statement added.
A military unit tried to seize the presidential palace in Niger’s capital Niamey overnight in an attempted coup but it was pushed back and order has been restored, the government said on Wednesday, days before a handover of power. “On the night of March 30-31, an attempted coup was thwarted,” it said in a statement, condemning “this cowardly and regressive act which sought to threaten democracy and the state of law”. The assailants, from a nearby airbase, fled after the presidential guard met their attack with heavy shelling and gunfire, three security sources told Reuters, requesting anonymity because they were not authorised to speak to the media. Government spokesman Abdourahamane Zakaria said several people had been arrested while others were still being sought, but that the situation was under control. The sources did not comment on the whereabouts of president-elect Mohamed Bazoum, who is due to be sworn in on Friday after an election victory disputed by his opponent Mahamane Ousmane. President Mahamadou Issoufou is stepping down after two five-year terms. “There were some arrests among a few members of the army who are behind this attempted coup. The presidential guard retaliated, preventing this group of soldiers from approaching the presidential palace,” a security source told the AFP. A former US envoy to the Sahel J. Peter Pham tweeted that both the president and president-elect were safe.