The President of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Ayuba Wabba, has said that the workers’ union will embark on a three-day nationwide strike if the federal government fails to accede to the demands of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) after the ongoing two-day warning protest organised by the NLC. Wabba, who spoke in an interview with Channels TV ‘Sunrise Daily’, also stated that the workers’ union embarked on a two-day protest against the ongoing ASUU strike not just as a show of solidarity, but because the strike directly affected the NLC. Wabba, who stated that the ongoing protest was a democratic norm which was constitutional and supported by the international charters, added that it was not illegal to carry out such demonstrations on the streets. Since plans for the ongoing protest were announced by the NLC, the Minister for Information, Lai Mohammed, had alleged that the protest was illegal and would create anarchy in the country. The Minister for Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, had also taunted the workers’ union, claiming erroneously that the protest was against international labour practices. The Nigeria Police Force had also, in its bid to defend the regime, demanded that the NLC should get a permit from the Force before embarking on the two-day warning-protest. Responding to the claims by the authorities, Wabba said the court of law had pronounced that citizens did not need permission from the police or any authority to carry out protests.

Nigerians spent $378.77 million on foreign education between January and May 2022, The PUNCH reported. The figure is contained in data obtained from the Central Bank of Nigeria, calculated based on the data provided on the amount spent on educational service under the sectoral utilisation for transactions valid for foreign exchange. In January 2022, the regulatory bank noted that a total of $60,202,730.84 was spent on foreign education, while noting that $69.9 million was spent in February 2022. In March 2022, there was a significant increase as the bank said $87.26 million was spent. In April, the figures dropped a little as a total of $78.62 million was recorded by the regulatory bank. The figure for May 2022 was stated as $82.70 million, making a total of $378.77 million spent so far in 2022. The data from the central bank revealed that Nigerians remitted more than $378.77 million to foreign academic institutions in five months without significant reciprocity in form of inflows from foreign sources to the local education sector.

Interstate travellers in Nigeria will pay more from 25 August following a decision by transporters to increase fares by 25 percent over rising costs of operation. This was the resolution after a meeting of the operators and board of All Private Transport Company Owners (APTCON). An internal memo sighted by The Nation on Tuesday titled: Notification of price increase effective 25th August, said the move is to prevent a situation where the operators run at a loss. Justifying the need for the increased fare, APTCON said that the industry’s operating costs have risen significantly without any form of governmental support or incentive. Listing challenges facing the sub-sector, fuel price has risen from ₦165 to ₦179, percentage increase of 7 percent, cost of diesel has risen from an average of ₦250 a year ago to over ₦800 today, percentage increase of 220 percent while the inflation rate hits a 65-month high of 18.6 percent in June 2022 significantly increasing cost of operations by at least 50 percent. It also pointed out scarcity of forex and high exchange rates have made it impossible for transporters to purchase new vehicles while cost of spare parts for vehicle maintenance has risen by almost 80 percent. The operators said: ‘’These challenges have taken a significant toll on the revenue of private transport company owners across Nigeria as most transporters are either operating at a loss or at cost. While some have had to shut down operations completely, many others have expressed their inability to pay salaries much less run profitably.”

Some Tunisians have begun celebrating a win for the “Yes” vote in a constitutional referendum brought by President Kais Saied, despite the election authority saying only about a quarter of registered voters had turned out. An exit poll from Sigma Conseil, a Tunisian polling company, said 92.3 percent of voters had backed the new constitution, which opponents say will entrench one-man rule. Only 7.7 percent voted “No”. Out of some nine million registered voters, just 1.9 million people came out to vote, with the opposition mainly choosing to boycott the vote. A couple of hundred people crowded onto the steps of Tunis Municipal Theatre to sing and chant popular slogans while cars circled Avenue Habib Bourguiba, which saw the final chapter of the 2011 uprising that overthrew the authoritarian president, Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, and began the Arab Spring. A few hours later, they were joined by Saied himself, who gave speeches and answered questions from local and international press. Saied addressed his supporters in central Tunis in the early hours of Tuesday morning after a walkabout and appeared sure that his constitution had been approved, referring to the referendum day as “an historic moment”.