The Federal High Court in Abuja on Thursday dismissed a suit seeking disqualification of the All Progressive Congress (APC) governorship candidate and Osun State Governor, Isiaka Adegboyega Oyetola from the state’s governorship election slated for Saturday. Justice Inyang Eden Ekwo dismissed the suit on six grounds that the plaintiff, APC powerbroker Moshood Olalekan Adeoti failed to disclose any cause of action. The Judge held that the suit instituted by the former governorship aspirant constituted a gross abuse of the court process and that the plaintiff did not exhaust the internal mechanism for dispute resolution before rushing to court. Justice Ekwo in his ruling upheld the arguments of the defendant (Oyetola), that Governor Oyetola’s membership of the APC National Caretaker Extraordinary and Convention Planning Committee (CECPC) on which the suit is predicated is an ad-hoc body and not the real APC National Executive Committee (NEC) recognised by the party’s Constitution. The Judge in his ruling held that CECPC is not the same as the officially recognised APC Constitution upon which anybody can be disqualified. Specifically, Justice Ekwo said that CECPC is a mere ad-hoc body put in place in the absence of the National Executive Committee known to law.

The Economic Community of West African States’ court declared the seven-month suspension of Twitter by Nigerian authorities last year as “illegal”. The decision follows a complaint by citizens and human rights organisations in Nigeria against the State, filed in July 2021, a month after the ban on the US social network began in Africa’s most populous country. According to the ECOWAS Court of Justice, this suspension was “illegal and incompatible” with the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights. It considers that with this suspension, Nigeria violated the rights of citizens and NGOs – at the origin of the complaint – to “enjoy their freedom of expression and access to information and the media. Furthermore, it ordered the Nigerian state to ensure that this illegal ban on Twitter is not repeated in the future.

The Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative (NEITI) has threatened action against oil and gas companies that failed to remit outstanding taxes, royalties and levies to the Federation Account amounting to about $6.4 billion (₦2.66 trillion). NEITI noted that while a large portion of the amount has been paid by defaulting companies, it warned that it will instigate action against those that have failed to remit the outstanding amount to the government. Executive Secretary, NEITI, Dr Orji Ogbonnaya Orji who stated this at a ceremony to mark this year’s African Day of Anti-Corruption in Abuja yesterday warned: “all the companies who still doubt our resolve to sustain this drive that we will not hesitate to activate our standing agreements with relevant anti-corruption agencies to recover the funds”.

Southern African countries agreed on Thursday to extend their troop deployment in Mozambique for another month to help it fight an Islamic State-linked insurgency. The mission’s mandate was set to end on Friday but has been extended on an interim basis until the SADC heads of state summit in mid-August when a more detailed report on the mission’s progress will be considered. Closing Thursday’s virtual summit, SADC chairperson and Malawi President Lazarus Chakwera said the extension of the troop deployment prevented the mission from being compromised. Separately, the European Union’s diplomatic mission to Mozambique said the EU would provide the country’s army with an additional 45 million euros ($45 million) of financial support. Mozambique’s military had been losing ground to the insurgency until it accepted help from SADC and Rwanda, which had also sent soldiers.