The Senate Adhoc Committee on Oil Theft said it had begun investigations into oil theft and illegal bunkering activities in the Niger Delta region. Chairman of the Committee, Bassey Akpan, said this while answering questions from journalists on arrival at the Port Harcourt International Airport. Akpan said the massive stealing of Nigeria’s crude oil, which had seen the country lose huge earnings as well as hobbled its ability to meet the quota allocated by the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries, was worrisome. He said, “Our intention is to visit every oil terminal located in the Niger Delta region to see things for ourselves, the reason for oil theft, the reason for oil losses. “We at the National Assembly believe that the local refining capacity, as a result of all the bunkering issues, can never be guaranteed or be sustained or be ensured by the losses. “We believe that there are other areas where the country loses this huge revenue and resources. So it’s a serious job we are out here to do.” This comes in the wake of Nigeria’s oil production plunging to 972,000 barrels per day in August 2022, as Angola and Libya overtook Nigeria by producing higher volumes of crude during the review month, the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries has said. OPEC disclosed this in its September 2022 report, confirming the figures released recently by the Nigeria Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission. The report stated that Angola was Africa’s highest crude oil producer for the month under review with an average production of 1.187 million barrels per day. It said Libya’s crude oil production also averaged 1.123 million barrels per day for the month of August.

The Coalition of United Political Parties (CUPP) has exposed a court action to stop the use of the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS) machine in the upcoming 2023 general election. CUPP also alleged a plot to remove the National Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Professor Mahmood Yakubu. The spokesperson of the opposition parties, Ikenga Imo Ugochinyere, said the suit was filed at the Owerri Federal High Court on 24 August, 2022. The opposition parties also displayed extracts of the National Voters register, which they claimed were part of at least 10 million fake registrations done by one of the political parties. They alleged that the names were sourced from both within and outside Nigeria, including some African countries such as Ghana, Cameroon, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Togo, Guinea, Gambia and countries outside Africa. The parties further alleged that Yakubu was under pressure for the commission to announce a change to its hard stance on the compulsory use of the BVAS machine for accreditation or get sacked as Chairman of the Commission.

Nasarawa has approved the reopening of its primary and secondary schools shut 49 days earlier on reports of security threats. The government ordered that all boarding public and private schools should resume on Sunday, 18 September, for the first term of the 2022/2023 academic session, while day schools shall resume on Monday, 19 September. The permanent secretary in the state Ministry of Education, Mohammed Sani-Bala, stated in Lafia on Wednesday that parents and guardians should return their children and wards to school as scheduled. He added that education commissioner Fatu Sabo directed that outstanding promotion examinations not concluded because of the sudden shutting of the schools in July should begin on 19 September. The commissioner also directed chief evaluation officers to monitor and ensure compliance with the directive. She said security had been enhanced in the schools to ensure the safety of students and teachers.  Sabo announced the shutting of the schools on 27 July following intelligence reports about security threats in the neighbouring federal capital, Abuja. 

Two airstrikes hit the capital of Ethiopia’s Tigray region, Mekele, Wednesday morning, killing 10 people. According to local health workers, the death toll could climb as more patients were reaching the hospital. On Tuesday morning, a drone strike hit a university campus in Mekele, causing an unknown number of injuries. Tigray rebels have accused the government of carrying out fresh drone attacks in the regional capital, Mekelle, two days after they said they were ready for an immediate ceasefire. It’s been close to three weeks since violence flared up again after a five-month truce. A senior Tigrayan official, Getachew Reda, tweeted on Tuesday that the target of the drone strikes was a university campus. There is no independent confirmation of the claim due to an ongoing communications blackout. In a weekend statement to mark the beginning of Ethiopia’s new year, the Tigray leadership said they were ready to participate in an “immediate” cessation of hostilities leading to a comprehensive ceasefire. But Ethiopia’s federal government is yet to publicly respond amid reports of more talks between the two sides in Djibouti. Several airstrikes have hit Mekele since fighting resumed between Tigray forces and Ethiopia’s government in late August, shattering a period of relative calm since late March. That calm had allowed more humanitarian aid to reach Tigray but those deliveries were halted, according to the United Nations. Deliveries to conflict-affected parts of the neighbouring Amhara region also stopped.