Terrorists on Wednesday and Thursday killed four security personnel in separate attacks in Katsina and Zamfara. Premium Times reported that three soldiers, including a major, were killed by terrorists suspected to be controlled by the notorious kingpin, Dan Karami, in an ambush around 9:00 p.m in Zamfara State. Also, an officer of the Nigeria Customs Service was killed in Katsina around 2:30 a.m on Thursday. In Zamfara State, a local source who pleaded anonymity said the terrorists ambushed the soldiers while they were responding to a distress call from residents of Yar Dole community of Kaura Namoda. He said the team leader, a major, gave his contacts and that of other soldiers to residents to call them if they ever came under attack. He said the officer and two other soldiers were killed while others sustained injuries. In Katsina, the online news site reported that the terrorists attacked a joint security checkpoint not far from the Nigerian Army Battalion Natsinta Barracks on Jibia road. A local source, Ibrahim Ali, said the terrorists came on motorcycles from the Bugaje village axis of the road and started shooting. A security source said the terrorists targeted officers of the joint security force and killed a customs officer. The Nigeria Customs Service spokesperson in Katsina, Tahir Balarabe confirmed the killing but said he would not comment officially because the slain officer belonged to the strike force.

The Birnin-Gwari Emirate Progressive Union (BEPU) has raised the alarm over the imposition of a levy of ₦12 million on farming communities in Birnin Gwari Local Government Area of Kaduna State. In a statement Thursday in Kaduna, the Chairman of BEPU, Ishaq Kasai, said besides imposing taxes on farmers, the bandits have intensified their attacks on communities.  The statement said the bandits imposed ₦12 million levies on four communities to be paid before they could be allowed to harvest their farm produce. “These communities are given only the grace of the coming Friday 30 September 2022 to meet the condition, failure of which the bandits vowed to kidnap any person found at the farms.” He also said six people were abducted from their farms last Saturday but were released after the bandits were provided with foodstuff and recharge cards worth ₦10,000.  “Also, the four people of Unguwan Liman who were kidnapped on Saturday 24 September 2022 and one at Unguwan Shekarau were released yesterday (Wednesday) after payment of ₦2 million and 500,000 respectively. “Regrettably, a farmer was killed at Shiwaka community on Tuesday 27 September 2022 after being tied to a tree; and more than 20 people were kidnapped on Wednesday 28 September 2022 at different farms in Jangali and Kwaga areas.” The statement said the helpless communities have started making contributions based on their farm size to meet the condition and the dateline. The BEPU appealed to the Nigerian government to come to the aid of the helpless farming communities in order to allow them free access to their farms and harvest their crops without any harm or intimidation.

The Association of Licensed Telecommunications Operators of Nigeria (ALTON) says it might be forced to stop financial Unstructured Supplementary Service Data (USSD) services because banks have failed to pay for services rendered. The debt has now risen to ₦ 80 billion from ₦ 42 billion earlier this year, said ALTON president Gbenga Adebayo during an ICT growth conference on Thursday in Lagos. Mr Adebayo noted that in spite of the government’s intervention in the matter, many banks were not cooperating as regards paying their debt. “Some banks are responding while others are not. We are nearing that time when we have no choice but to discontinue the provision of services to banks. “Banks deduct charges from their customers but refuse to pay telecom operators. You don’t expect us to keep rendering services when you don’t pay,” the ALTON president said. He added that the irony of the situation was that if it was the other way round, you could not owe the bank a cent.

Senegal’s President Macky Sall has asked the justice ministry to look into an amnesty scheme that could allow two of his biggest political opponents who were sentenced on graft charges to regain their voting rights and potentially run in the next presidential election in 2024. Sall instructed the justice minister during a cabinet meeting on Wednesday evening “to examine, as soon as possible, the possibilities and the appropriate scheme of amnesty for people who have lost their voting rights,” minutes of the meeting showed. He said his aim was to ease political tensions which have heated up in recent months, culminating in a tense legislative election and scuffles in parliament.