The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) and five university students have filed a lawsuit against President Muhammadu Buhari, asking the court to “declare unlawful the refusal by the federal government to meet ASUU’s demands, which has occasioned the prolonged strike action and violated the students’ right to quality education.” Joined in the suit as Defendants are the Minister of Labour, Employment and Productivity, Chris Ngige, and Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, SAN. The suit followed the federal government’s apparent lack of commitment to implement the agreements with the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), its refusal to end the union’s over seven-month-old industrial action, and its threat to implement the “no work, no pay” policy. In the suit number NICN/ABJ/269/2022 filed last week at the National Industrial Court, Abuja, SERAP and the students are seeking: “an order directing President Buhari and Mr Ngige to immediately implement all the agreements with ASUU in order to end the strike action and violation of the students’ right to quality education.” According to SERAP and the students: “Disruption of classes undermines both the quality and duration of students’ education. This situation has aggravated existing disparities in access to university education in the country, further marginalising economically disadvantaged parents and students.” The suit filed on behalf of SERAP and the students by their lawyer Tayo Oyetibo, SAN, read in part: “The federal government has failed to respect, protect, promote and fulfil the right to quality education, and the right to freedom of association through the principle of collective bargaining.” No date has been fixed for the hearing of the suit.

Some police officers were killed Sunday when gunmen attacked the convoy of Senator Ifeanyi Ubah (YPP, Anambra South). The senator’s convoy was attacked in Enugwu-Ukwu, a community in Njikoka LGA, while he was returning to Nnewi, his hometown, from a function. The gunmen ambushed and opened fire on the convoy, killing at least three of the police officers attached to the lawmaker. Mr Ubah escaped the attack, but sustained injuries. “Some of his aides were killed, including some police officers. The senator managed to escape as his car was riddled with bullets,” a witness said. Another source said that the assailants, who were about nine in number, took the weapons of the victims before leaving the scene. In its initial reaction, the FG has blamed the secessionist group, IPOB.

The number of justices at the Supreme Court has been reduced to 13 with the retirement of Justice Abdu Aboki. The valedictory court session to formally mark the retirement of Justice Aboki will be held on 15 September. In a statement by Supreme Court spokesman, Dr Festus Akande, Aboki turned 70, being the statutory retirement age for Supreme Court justices on 5 August but the valedictory court session could not hold then due to the court’s annual vacation. The remaining justices of the country’s highest court include the Acting Chief Justice of Nigeria, Olukayode Ariwoola, and Justices Musa Dattijo Muhammad, Kudirat Motommori Olatokunbo Kekere Ekun, Inyang Okoro, Chima Centus Nweze, Amina Adamu Augie, Uwani Abba Aji, Lawal Garba, Helen M. Ogunwumiju, I.N.M. Saulawa, Adamu Jauro, Tijjani Abubakar, and Emmanuel A. Agim. Section 230(b) of the Nigerian Constitution provides that the court should have “such number of justices, not exceeding twenty-one, as may be prescribed by an Act of the National Assembly.” The reduced bench follows the departure of eight justices including justices Tanko Muhammad, Mary Odili, and Abdu Aboki, who retired; and justices Sylvester Ngwuta and Samuel Oseji, who passed away.

Rwanda may provide logistical support to help Benin tackle a worsening Islamist insurgency that is threatening parts of the West African region, a Benin government spokesperson said on Saturday. Talks with Rwanda are ongoing about the possible help which would not involve the deployment of any Rwandan troops to Benin, Wilfried Léandre Houngbedji told Reuters. Benin, alongside Côte d’Ivoire and Togo, has seen increasing attacks from militants linked to al Qaeda and Islamic State as violence creeps south from the Sahelian countries of Burkina Faso Mali, and Niger. “As with Niger and Burkina Faso, we are in discussions with Rwanda about logistical support, the provision of expertise,” Houngbedji said. Rwandan military spokesperson Ronald Rwivanga said he could not comment on the “existing defence cooperation” between Rwanda and Benin.